About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Kneaders Chunky Cinnamon French Toast

Let me add my disclaimer from the very beginning here: I love Kneaders and I adore their sandwiches but I have never actually had their french toast. So do I know that this is exactly like it? No. BUT! I am pretty sure. Why? Because Kneaders divulged the recipe on Good Things Utah in 2005 and this is that recipe.

Disclaimer out of the way... this was delicious! I was very pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't as sweet as I thought it was going to be. I don't deal well with too much sweetness but the caramel sauce was a perfect compliment to the toast. We just bought generic cinnamon bread from Smith's and doubled up the slices so that they would be thick. When they sit overnight they "gel" together from the egg mixture so we didn't have any problems with them falling apart. We also used an 11x17" pan instead of a 9x13".

Even though this recipe has to sit for at least an hour I would definitely recommend doing it overnight. It was super easy to throw together after dinner was over and you just stick it in the oven the next day. This one is one that we will DEFINITELY be repeating at our house!

This picture and recipe are courtesy of The Sisters Cafe and can be found at this site here: http://www.thesisterscafe.com/2011/04/kneaders-chunky-cinnamon-french-toast

Kneaders Chunky Cinnamon French Toast
Submitted by Mindy ~ The Sisters Cafe

1 loaf Kneaders Chunky Cinnamon Bread cut in 8 slices (You could use any store bought cinnamon swirl bread but no raisins!)
8 eggs
3 cups milk
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons butter

Butter an 11/17" glass baking dish generously. Place the bread flat in the baking dish. Mix all remaining ingredients, reserving the butter and pour over the bread. Cut butter into pieces and dot over the top. Refrigerate over night or at least one hour (I think an hour is plenty, and I didn't need quite all the egg mixture). Bake 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees. Serves 8. Serve with Kneaders Caramel Syrup.

Kneaders Caramel Syrup
From The Sister’s Café
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream 
1 cup light Karo syrup

Blend together and heat on stove top until sugar is smooth. Serve warm.

No comments: