About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Baked Oatmeal

This terrifically easy and tasty breakfast is one that I wish we could have in our house more often; however, I don't think it can be classified as "healthy" per say. Mel at Mel's Kitchen Cafe has made some ingredient list changes to lighten it up but I still think it is a ways away from the best choice you can make for the most important meal of the day.

That being said, however, this would make a wonderful breakfast for a special occasion. It comes out tasting like a big cookie without being too sweet and we loved it scooped out of the pan right out of the oven with some extra milk. This is one that will stay in my recipe book. Loved it!

The recipe and picture are courtesy of Mel's Kitchen Cafe and can be found at this site here: http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2009/07/baked-oatmeal.html


Baked Oatmeal
from melskitchencafe.com 

6 cups oatmeal, either quick or old-fashioned
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup applesauce
2 cups milk
4 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased 9X13-inch baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve with milk and/or fresh fruit.

The recipe can be easily halved and baked in an 8X8-inch pan.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

You can also put it in a pan and let it soak overnight, then pop it in the oven for 45 mins. We add raisins to ours and cinnamon, and just eat it like a granola bar. I also found a recipe for pumpkin baked oatmeal that is amazing. Oh, it's also freezable uncooked, I make double/triple batches and freeze them in baggies for easy breakfasts!