About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken

I recently learned that one of my friends from high school also has a cooking blog and after scanning through her recipes I knew that there were SEVERAL I had to try and this was one of them! Head on over to Mer's Kitchen Creations and check out her awesome site!

I will admit that I was a bit skeptical about this recipe as I was throwing it together. I am not into chunks of soggy veggies in things and I thought that my onions and green pepper would end up just that after this lengthy cooking time - soggy. But my fears were unfounded. Even after cooking this dish for 1 hour on high and 4 hours on low my green peppers were still slightly crunchy and the taste was wonderful. Our whole family loved this one and it is so simple, easy to put together and relatively healthy that we will definitely be making it again!

The picture is courtesy of Kraft Recipes (where the original recipe came from) and can be found at this site here: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/slow-cooker-tex-mex-chicken-107258.aspx

The recipe listed below is Merideth's adapted recipe. After looking at both recipes this is definitely the recipe that I would have preferred and I am glad she made the changes that she did! The link to her adapted recipe can be found at this site here: http://merskitchencreations.blogspot.com/2011/02/slow-cooker-tex-mex-chicken.html

SLOW COOKER TEX-MEX CHICKEN
From Mer’s Kitchen Creations

·         1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
·         1 package reduced-sodium taco seasoning (or about 2 - 3 Tbsp. if you are like me and have a big bottle of taco seasoning)
·         1 green or red pepper, diced
·         1/2 yellow onion, diced
·         1 cup frozen corn
·         1 1/2 cups medium salsa (medium gives it a lot more flavor than mild)
·         1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Toss chicken with taco seasoning in slow cooker. Add in everything but the cheese and stir to combine. Cook on low 6-8 hours, or on high 3-4 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve topped with shredded cheese, cilantro and sour cream. Tastes great by itself, but it is even better if you serve it over hot cooked rice.

Adapted from Kraft Recipes

No comments: