About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Steak with Onion-Bleu Cheese Sauce

Wow! This was an amazing meal! I have never cooked steak before and so I was pretty nervous about making the attempt but I will be nervous no more! I found a great website that gives tips for perfect cooking methods for steak. If you would like to check it out as well the site can be found at this link here: http://startcooking.com/blog/276/3-Ways-to-Cook-a-Great-Steak. Just make sure that when you do follow the method suggested for grilling that your steaks are thin - like no more than 1/2 inch. Some of our bigger steaks turned out pretty pink in the middle. Personally I like my steak to still be mooing but it was a bit too rare for my husband in some parts. BUT! Considering it was my first attempt at cooking steak by myself I will call it a successful attempt.

This meal can't be found on any kind of healthy meter but it is so delectable that you can forgive yourself for indulging. Plus, the sauce is rich and filling so I don't think you could eat more than one good sized steak anyways. My hubby absolutely loved this sauce and still could only get down one steak! If you know my Jake that is just short of a small miracle.

Now I know that the recipe calls for ribeye steak but you don't have to use ribeye. Ribeye is an excellent cut of meat and is generally regarded as the most tender and desirable BUT that also means it is generally the most expensive. I saw it on "sale" at my local grocery store for $5.99/lb. We weren't about to pay that price so we picked up some beautiful looking top sirloin on sale for $2.99/lb. And it was still delicious!

This recipe is so easy to make and has so few ingredients that you should DEFINITELY make it unless you are severely anti-onion. This one is going into our favorites and will be repeated at our house again and again!

The picture and recipe are courtesy of The Pioneer Woman and can be found at this site here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/09/grilled-ribeye-steak-with-onion-blue-cheese-sauce/

STEAK WITH ONION-BLEU CHEESE SAUCE
From The Pioneer Woman

  • 2 whole ribeye steaks
  • 2 Tbsp. butter (unless you are grilling your steaks in which case you should just brush the grill with a bit of oil before setting your steaks down)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 4 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 very large yellow onion, sliced into relatively thick slices
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
Salt and pepper both sides of the steaks. Grill in 2 Tbsp. butter until cooked to your liking (medium-well is my favorite). Saute onions in 4 Tbsp. butter over high heat for 5-7 minutes, or until dark and caramelized. (Be careful not to let them BLACKEN too badly. A little black is okay.) Reduce heat to simmer and pour in cream. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until reduced by half. Stir in blue cheese until melted. Serve a generous portion of sauce over steaks.

*NOTE: A very easy method to follow for slicing your onion is to first cut it in half from root to tip, leaving the ends in tact. This helps to hold it all together and makes slicing it a breeze!

No comments: