About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pesto Spinach Omelet

I'm sorry I don't have a picture to go with this one but I gobbled it up so quickly that it couldn't be helped. Next time I make it I will be sure to photograph it.

This omelet was seriously like a party in my mouth! I loved the combination of flavors and didn't have to feel too guilty about it. And the most wonderful thing about omelets is that you can change it up however you would like! Enjoy!

PESTO SPINACH OMELET
Shayla's Kitchen Original
1 serving

2 slices turkey bacon, cut into small pieces
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1 Tbsp basil pesto
2-3 Tbsp roasted red peppers
1 whole egg plus 2 egg whites
1 tsp shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)

Heat a small skillet to medium heat. Mix spinach, bacon, pesto and roasted red peppers into a skillet and stir fry until spinach leaves are wilted and bacon is heated through. Removed from skillet and keep warm.

Mix together egg plus two egg whites until well combined (you can add a splash of non-fat milk if you want to add a little creamy fluffiness). Pour egg into skillet until the entire skillet is covered and cook until egg is set. (Meaning you can shake the pan and there won't be any parts of the egg that are still runny.) Sprinkle with crushed red pepper if desired.

Once your egg is set, add pesto mixture to one side of the egg. Add parmesan cheese if desired. Use a spatula to fold over the other half of the egg onto the top of your toppings. Let it sit until cheese is melted or about 1 - 2 more minutes. Remove from plan and consume the deliciousness immediately!

No comments: