About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Red Sauce Chicken Enchiladas

In all fairness to me, I HAVE mixed up the Mexican recipes with a few dessert recipes, and I DID warn you that I was on a Mexican kick! Mexican food is not only REALLY tasty, but it is a lot cheaper to make than a lot of American foods that aren't hot dogs, grilled cheese, or what not.

Anyways! This is another great recipe that we really enjoyed. I mixed things up a little bit from the original recipe from Favorite Family Recipes, but if you want to view the original please check out this great site found here. The biggest thing you have to note BEFORE making this recipe is that the red sauce is SWEETER than a lot of the enchilada sauces I have experienced before. The tomato paste gives it a sweet tang and the enchilada seasoning gives it a nice kick. I felt like I was eating a lot healthier with this recipe, especially since I used Whole Wheat Flour tortillas instead of White Flour. I would definitely recommend Whole Wheat flour tortillas. The taste is a little bit stronger and they are a bit more expensive, but they are a whole lot more filling and satisfying. My all-you-can-eat style hubby only managed to eat 2!

As a classic Shayla recipe, it doesn't have very many ingredients, and NONE that are unusual. Try these out! We will be keeping them around!

RED SAUCE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

From Favorite Family Recipes

Red Sauce:
12 oz can of tomato paste
4 c water
2 packages of enchilada seasoning (any brand will work)

Filling:
2 C chopped cooked chicken (about 3 chicken breasts)
1 1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
1 can medium black olives (you get your moneys worth by buying medium; more fit into the same sized can.)
16 oz bag frozen corn

10 medium whole wheat flour tortillas

Make sure to have your chicken ready; cooked and chopped, put in a bowl. Lightly fry the tortillas one at a time in a large skillet with vegetable oil until it is a little crisp and lightly browned on both sides. Set aside.

Make your red sauce by combining two packages of seasoning, tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let it lightly boil for 15 min, stirring frequently. I like to cover the pan with a lid so the sauce doesn't get everywhere.

In the bowl with the chopped chicken, mix in 1/2 c cheese, 1 c red sauce, 1 c frozen corn and most of the black olives (save some for the topping). Put 1/2 cup of the chicken mix in each tortilla and roll it up like a burrito. Place in an 11X17 greased pan. Repeat with all the remaining tortillas, if they don't fit into the pan, just get another smaller pan to place the remaining enchiladas. Pour the remaining sauce on top and spread. Put remaining cheese and olives on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 mins, cheese should be melted and sauce bubbly. Serve with shredded lettuce and the remaining corn.

No comments: