About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Pasta

We love chicken enchiladas and we love pasta around here so of course I jumped at the opportunity to combine the two together! This wonderfully flavorful dish was creamy and spicy and far too easy to gobble up. This dish has PLENTY of kick, even when using mild sauces. It came together pretty fast even though you have to take the time to dice and slice the veggies and chicken. Don't be intimidated by the longer ingredient list - most of the things you should have on hand already! It also makes a LOT of food that I think would easily feed 8 but that might just be my opinion. We will DEFINITELY be making this one again!

This recipe and picture are courtesy of My Kitchen Cafe and can be found here.

CHICKEN ENCHILADA PASTA

Serves 6-8
*Plan Ahead: the recipe calls for cooked chicken so use leftovers or plan enough time to cook the chicken beforehand.

2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed or shredded
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 medium onion, diced (I did small strips)
1 red pepper, diced (Again, small strips)
4-ounce can diced green chilies
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 (10-oz) can green chili enchilada sauce (I used mild)
2/3 cup red enchilada sauce (I used mild)
1 can large black olives, cut in half
1 cup sour cream (I used fat free and a literal cup of sour cream, not just 8 oz.)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
16-20 oz. penne pasta (Depending on how "saucy" you want the pasta)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta until tender. While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet and add the onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes until onion is translucent. Add the garlic and red pepper and cook for another 2 minutes, until pepper is barely tender. Add the cooked chicken, green chilies, spices, enchilada sauces and olives. Let the sauce simmer for about 8-10 minutes. Add the sour cream and cheese and heat through, until the cheese is melted (but don't boil!). Pour the sauce over the hot pasta. Garnish with extra sour cream, cheese, diced tomatoes, green onions or crushed tortilla chips.

Recipe Source: My Kitchen Cafe (http://www.mykitchencafe.blogspot.com/)

No comments: