About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sugar Cookie Bars

We were at my parent's house for dinner on Sunday evening and around 9:00 pm my mom decides she has to have dessert. So we started scanning the internet for possible recipes that not only looked good, but that she had the ingredients for. I came across this recipe on Real Mom Kitchen and it looked so simple that I had tot ry it out. Turns out that it is a super simple recipe and it feeds a crowd! The cookie bars turned out chewy and delicious and I even liked the frosting which is a big deal for me because I am NOT a frosting person. These were even better the next day around and fun to eat bite by bite instead of in a whole bar.

The picture and recipe are courtesy of Real Mom Kitchen and can be found here.

SUGAR COOKIE BARS
From Real Mom Kitchen
Reminder Recipe! One Year Ago: Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas

1 cup butter; room temp.
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla & mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt & soda & stir with a whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased baking sheet (use a 13 x 18 pan). Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and frost.

FROSTING

1/2 cup butter; room temp
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 Tbsp milk
food coloring (if desired)

For frosting combine butter and shortening until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk & mix until smooth and spreading consistency. Spread over cooled cookie.

*NOTE! The second time I made this I used 1/2 cup less white flour than the first time. The dough was MUCH easier to handle and a lot more moist. If you are using finer flours like fresh ground wheat I would stick to the original amount, otherwise REDUCE!

No comments: