About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Mini Meatball Subs

I love Allrecipes.com. There are so many different recipes and so many new things to try out! I am signed up for their daily newsletter and when I saw this picture I knew this was one we had to try. And it was DELICIOUS! The meatballs were very flavorful and giving the cheese a chance to melt in the oven made the rolls a bit crunchy which was a perfect compliment to the sauce. No soggy bread here!

The only thing we will change next time around is that we will use less pepper. The original recipe calls for a full teaspoon of pepper and I was pretty skeptical about using that much but no one that commented on the original recipe said that the pepper was too much. I will most likely use 3/4 of a tsp. next time around.

The original recipe also said to only make 8 meatballs. I made good sized ones that were perfectly sized for the rolls I used (French Steak Rolls) and got 12.

This recipe takes a lot longer to make than some of the recipes I make - 50 minutes just to cook. BUT I promise that it is well worth it and if you have the time you should definitely go for it. You won't be disappointed with the end product. This was easily one of my favorite recipes that I made this month - right behind the Spinach Pesto Manicotti. Kind of ironic that my two favorite recipes from this month both had the longest cooking times!

The picture and recipe are courtesy of Allrecipes.com and can be found here.

MINI MEATBALL SUBS
From Allrecipes.com
Reminder Recipe! One Year Ago: Beef Stroganoff
Reminder Recipe! Two Years Ago: Skillet Enchiladas

• 1 pound ground beef
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
• 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
• 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (next time I will not use more than 3/4 tsp.)
• 1 (26.5 ounce) can spaghetti sauce
• 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 12 dinner rolls, split

1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Combine ground beef, onion, green pepper, crackers, and egg in a large bowl. Season with Worcestershire sauce, garlic, seasoned salt, and pepper; mix well. Form mixture into 12 meatballs. Place meatballs in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
3. Bake meatballs in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Pour the spaghetti sauce into a large saucepan; bring to a simmer over low heat. Stir baked meatballs into the simmering sauce. Do not turn oven off. Simmer sauce until meatballs are fully cooked, about 20 minutes.
4. Place one meatball, a sprinkle of mozzarella, a sprinkle of Parmesan, and a bit of sauce between each roll. Place sandwiches in hot oven; bake until cheeses melt, about 7 minutes.

No comments: