About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Throw and Go BBQ Chicken

I am always excited to find new crockpot recipes! We have very long days on Tuesdays and unless we want to be eating at 10 pm I have to prepare a crockpot recipe or plan something that my husband can make himself.

I was really concerned about the cooking time for this recipe: 6 hours on high in my crockpot sounded like nothing but burnt chicken to me! I contacted Laura at Real Mom Kitchen (where I got this recipe) and she assured me that that is the correct cooking time.

I went ahead and tried the recipe and cooked it for 6 hours on high. As I feared, the sauce around the edge of the pot burned completely. Luckily, only 1/2 of 1 of my chicken breasts was unsalvageable. The rest were shreddable but very dry. I ended up adding about another cup of BBQ sauce, 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce and a little more liquid smoke to the cooked chicken. It was still very tasty and my family loved it. My husband "oooohhhed" and "ahhhhhed" through the whole meal.

But it made me wonder, what happened? The only thing I changed about the original recipe was to use Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce instead of the Kansas City. I looked up the Kansas City BBQ Sauce online and it didn't look like it was exceptionally more liquid based that it would have made that much of a difference.

So I contacted Laura again and asked if maybe my crockpot is just too powerful. She responded:

"Not all crock pots cook the same, unfortunately. Some do cook higher than others. You also don’t want to use a crock pot that is too big. That can cause issues too. Next time, try low for 8 hours. Chicken thighs are also good to use instead. They never dry out in the crock pot. Hopefully this helps, if not let me know."

So now you know! This recipe really is worth giving a try. The combination of spaghetti and barbecue sauces is DELICIOUS. If your chicken happens to turn out like mine just make the adjustments that I did by adding some more sauces at the end.

Thanks so much to Real Mom Kitchen for this recipe, the picture and the advice! Please check out her wonderful site for this and many other awesome recipes by going here.


Throw and Go BBQ Chicken
From Real Mom Kitchen
Reminder Recipe! One Year Ago: Brazilian Lemonade

·         5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
·         1/2 tsp garlic powder
·         1/2 tsp onion flakes
·         1/2 tsp salt
·         1/4 cup brown sugar
·         1 cup spaghetti sauce
·         1/2 cup Kansas City Style bbq sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's instead)
·         1 Tbsp. liquid smoke
·         rolls or buns to serve on
·         butter

1.      Place all the ingredients in the crock pot in the order listed above.

2.      Cook in the crock pot on high for at least 6 hours.  Remove the chicken and shred.  Return to the crock pot and mix into the sauce.

3.      Butter the inside of your buns or rolls.  Place them on a cookie sheet.  Broil them in the oven on the second highest level for the oven rack (this prevents burning).  Broil until golden brown.  You want them toasty because this bbq chicken is so moist and saucy you will end up with soggy bread if you don’t toast them.  Sandwich bbq chicken inside toasted buns or rolls.

 Recipe adapted from The Pearson Familee

No comments: