About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Eggs and Canadian Bacon in Pita Pockets

As I was reading through this recipe when I was about to go and make it I thought... wow... I bet this is going to taste pretty bland. I wasn't okay with that and wanted something with a WOW factor. So... I changed it. Quite a bit. The recipe below is my adapted recipe (which we loved as did my mom and family when she made it with my changes the next day).

The great thing about this recipe is that it is really versatile. You could add whatever you wanted to the recipe: green peppers, red peppers, fresh red or yellow onion, etc. Tailor it to fit your own preference. The following recipe fit ours. :-)

The original recipe and picture are courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens and can be found at this site here: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/pork/eggs-and-canadian-bacon-in-pita-pockets/


Eggs and Canadian Bacon in Pita Pockets
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

Servings 4
Nutritional Information per serving (calculated on MyFitnessPal.com): Calories 259, Carbs 21, Fat grams 10, Protein 22 (Based on using 1/2 cup cheddar cheese) 

·         2 eggs
·         4 egg whites
·         2 cups baby spinach leaves
·         3 garlic cloves, minced
·         3 ounces Canadian-style bacon, finely chopped
·         4 ½ teaspoons water (or milk)
·         2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (or sundried tomatoes or roasted red peppers…)
·         Salt and Pepper to taste
·         Crushed red pepper (optional)
·         Nonstick cooking spray
·         2 large pita bread round
·         ¼ - 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Heat a nonstick skillet lightly sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat. Add spinach, garlic, chives and Canadian bacon. Cook until spinach is wilted.
2. In a small bowl beat together egg, egg whites, water, salt & pepper and crushed red pepper (if desired).
2. Add egg mixture to skillet. Cook, without stirring, until mixture begins to set on the bottom and around edge. Using a spatula or a large spoon, lift and fold the partially cooked eggs so the uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking about 2 minutes or until eggs are cooked through but are still glossy and moist. Remove from heat.
3.Cut pita bread in half crosswise. Fill pita halves with egg mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Makes 4 servings.

No comments: