Calculated on MyFitnessPal.com based on 15 servings:
ORIGINAL RECIPE: Nutritional Information per serving: Calories 105, Carbs 20, Fat grams 2, Protein 3
HEALTHIFIED RECIPE: Nutritional Information per serving: Calories 92, Carbs 20, Fat grams <0.47, Protein 4
Pretty cool, huh? And all you have to do is switch the all-purpose flour to 100% whole wheat and the oil to unsweetened applesauce. I promise you that it works and it is delicious and filling and satisfying. You lower your calorie and fat intake per slice and up your protein. Do it!!!
I am kicking myself for not taking a picture... I will try and do better next time. The picture attached to this post is the closest picture I could find that looked like the pizza we had last night - except we had onions instead of pineapple. The picture is courtesy of BettyCrocker.com and can be found at this site here: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/hawaiian-whole-wheat-pizza/db2e359f-8a16-4c46-b5df-ecf7b3c69d08
JAY’S SIGNATURE PIZZA CRUST - Healthified
· 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
· 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
· 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
· 3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and brown sugar in the water, and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Stir the salt and applesauce into the yeast solution. Mix in 2 1/2 cups of the flour.
3. Turn dough out onto a clean, well floured surface, and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, and cover with a cloth. Let the dough rise until double; this should take about 1 hour. Punch down the dough, and form a tight ball. Allow the dough to relax for a minute before rolling out. Use for your favorite pizza recipe.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). If you are baking the dough on a pizza stone, you may place your toppings on the dough, and bake immediately. If you are baking your pizza in a pan, lightly oil the pan, and let the dough rise for 15 or 20 minutes before topping and baking it.5. Bake pizza in preheated oven, until the cheese and crust are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.