Tuesday, March 23, 2010
From Real Mom Kitchen
• 6 large eggs
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1 cup salsa
• 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• 5 oz.thick tortilla strips (1 oz. is about 12 strips)
• 1 Tbsp. butter
• 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
• 3 chopped green onions
• salt and pepper, to taste
1. Saute the green onions in 1 Tbsp of butter over medium heat until they are soft (2-3 minutes). While the onions are cooking, whisk together the eggs and milk.
2. Once the onions are soft, pour the egg mixture over top and let it cook (without stirring) until the edges are “set” (this means cooked/turned solid… ). Once the edges are set, use your spatula to pull the edges in toward the center of the pan, letting the unset/liquid egg flow back onto the surface of the pan. (This is just like making an omelet)Repeat this process until almost all of the egg mixture is set/cooked. Move on to the next step when the egg mixture is still moist and glistening but is mostly cooked. If you cook it until it is dry at this step, your end product will be over cooked and super dry.
3. Pour the salsa on the eggs and gently fold in (be careful not to over stir, you’ll end up with pellet like scrambled eggs). Add the tortilla strips and gently fold in. The tortilla strips will soften and reduce in volume as they are mixed in so don’t worry if your pan seems to be over flowing at first! Just keep folding gently.
Sprinkle the top of your migas with shredded cheese and freshly chopped cilantro. Serve while it is still hot and moist! Makes 4-5 servings.