About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pumpkin Black Bean Soup

I know. Really. I wouldn't have ever thought to do it, but apparently someone did. And trust me, as bizarre as it seems and as crazy as you think I am... it is delicious. Really. You are going to have to take that leap of faith and try it because it really is delicious. Thanks to Allrecipes.com for the original recipe (which my mother has nicely modified) and the picture.


PUMPKIN BLACK BEAN SOUP

  • 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained (21/2 beans/1 1/2 pureed)
  • 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 cups beef broth
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 3 large links sausage, sliced
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 can diced chilies

Directions

  1. Pour 2 cans of the black beans into a food processor or blender, along with the can of tomatoes. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
  2. Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the onion is softened. Stir in the bean puree, remaining can of beans, beef broth, pumpkin puree, cumin, diced chilies and apple cider vinegar. Mix until well blended, then simmer for about 25 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Stir in the sausage, and heat through before serving.

No comments: