About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pineapple Meatballs

I have always been such a fan of my Swedish Meatball recipe that I was a little hesitant to try a new one, but this recipe certainly did not disappoint! It reminded me a lot of the flavor of sweet and sour chicken and next time I make this (because there will be a next time) I may even add a chopped green pepper into the sauce. The recipe below is my modified recipe. I halved the meatball part and left the sauce part as is because Jake is a big fan of sauce. You can find the original recipe here.

PINEAPPLE MEATBALLS

Meatballs-

1 lb. ground beef (lean)
1 large egg
¼ cup oatmeal
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Sauce-

1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¾ cups pineapple juice (reserved from pineapple tidbits)
1 cup water
¼ cup white vinegar
1 ½ tablespoon soy sauce
1 ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 (14 oz) can pineapple tidbits

Step 1: Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Make the meatballs by combining all meatball ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well and shape into about 1” meatballs.

Step 2: Make the sauce by combining cornstarch and brown sugar in a sauce pan. Then add ¾ cup pineapple juice and 1 cup water and blend until the mixture is smooth. Add vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and stir. Simmer uncovered on medium low until thickened (about 8 minutes - mine only took about 4 minutes to thicken).

Step 3: In a casserole dish pour sauce over meatballs and add pineapple tidbits. Lightly mix meatballs until they are coated with the sauce. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until fully cooked.

*This makes a LOT of sauce so don't be surprised!

No comments: