About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham

I had potatoes that I needed to use up and so was browsing through some recipes and thought that this one looked delicious. I love browsing recipes and found this one here. It got great reviews from other cooks, but I was a bit skeptical about making it after looking at the ingredients. I was afraid it wouldn't have much flavor to it. Plus, it takes a really long time to cook. If I spend that much time on a recipe I want it to be worth it! Well, I can assure you that this recipe was worth the time. It tasted a lot like my hot dog casserole recipe (which we love) although this one has to be a lot more healthy! If you have the time to make it I promise you won't be disappointed!

SCALLOPED POTATOES AND HAM

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt (I wouldn't use more than 1 1/2 teaspoons)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups milk
3 cups ham, cooked
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped (I just used onion powder)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
5 cups potatoes, pared and sliced

Melt butter in large sauce pan over low heat; blend in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute. Remove from heat gradually stir in milk. Return to heat; cook until thickened and bubbly. Fold in ham, onion, green pepper and cheese. Pour over potatoes in a large bowl. Stir gently then move into a buttered or greased 13X9-inch baking dish; cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for 1 hour.
Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

*NOTE: I topped my dish with cheese for the last 25 minutes of cooking. It was a delicious addition! It was golden brown when the dish finished and added such a wonderful flavor!

No comments: