About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Caramel Cream Brownie Trifle

I took this to a celebration dinner last night for my little brother and it was a hit! My dad took a bite and said, "This is awesome!" It is very rich, so be careful about that, but the combination of the flavors and textures are wonderful. The reviews all said that it gets better and better the longer you let it sit. The pudding kind of soaks into the brownies so they are moist and delicious! I got this recipe from here.

CARAMEL CREAM BROWNIE TRIFLE
From Betty Crocker

1 Box (1 lb 2.3 oz) Betty Crocker® fudge brownie mix
Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on brownie mix box
1 box (4-serving size) chocolate fudge instant pudding and pie filling mix
2 cups milk
1/4 cup caramel topping
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional) - I used Heath toffee pieces instead

1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Bake brownie mix as directed on box, using water, oil and eggs, in 13x9-inch pan. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
2. Make pudding mix as directed on box for pudding, using milk; refrigerate. Cut brownies into 1-inch pieces. Thoroughly stir caramel topping into whipped topping.
3. In 3-quart glass bowl, layer half each of the brownies, pudding, walnuts and whipped topping mixture; repeat.
4. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving but no longer than 24 hours. Store covered in refrigerator.

*NOTE: I used a 2-quart glass bowl and it was the PERFECT size.

2 comments:

Dan and Kristin said...

Made this tonight--it's delicious!

My Cool Whip kind of blended into the pudding, so it didn't have the definite layers like the picture. Any hints?

Shayla Bentley said...

I made my pudding and whipped cream/caramel topping at the same time that I did the brownies. I put the brownies in the oven and the pudding and whipped cream in separate bowls in the refrigerator. By the time the brownies were ready and completely cool, so were my pudding and whipped cream. With everything being so cold, I didn't have problems with the layers meshing. I think it is almost necessary to give the pudding extra time to set instead of making it right before you start to make your layers. I'm so glad you liked the recipe!