I decided to be adventurous after having eggplant at Carino's Italian restaurant and loving it. I found this delicious looking recipe at Allrecipes.com and gave it a go. This dish is packed with veggies and flavor. The texture of eggplant is, I think, what gets most people but it really isn't a whole lot different from cooked zucchini or squash. At the end of the day I decided that we wouldn't be making this one again because it is a lot more work and too similar to the Skillet Summer Vegetable Lasagna we love so much. But it is an excellent dish and worth a go.
Thanks to Allrecipes.com for the recipe and picture which can be found at this site here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-three-cheese-eggplant/detail.aspx
BAKED THREE CHEESE EGGPLANT
Printer Friendly Version
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped (I used 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes)
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach leaves (I promise they will drastically reduce in size)
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup Classico® Tomato and Basil Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Brush eggplant slices with olive oil on both sides, and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle garlic powder over the top. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes and spinach. Cook and stir for a few minutes until fragrant, and the tomatoes have released their juices. In a medium bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Place the eggplant slices in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with the spinach mixture. Spoon the cheese mixture over the spinach, and spread into a thin layer. Pour the pasta sauce over the cheese layer. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over the top. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until heated through and the eggplant is easily pierced with a fork.