About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Slow Cooker Pepper Steak

I don't know if I have mentioned it before or not but on Tuesdays I always try and plan slow cooker meals. Why? Because I teach piano lessons until 6:30 pm and have to be to my church mutual activities by 7. And between those two times I need to feed my baby. *PHEW!* So if I can have dinner all ready to go and just have to have my sweet husband dish it up and bring it to me it works so much better.

This was an incredibly flavorful meal. We loved it as did my extended family (my mom made it the same night I did.) My dad raved and raved about it and my husband did as well. The only thing I wish had been different was that the onions had been more crunchy. I didn't add the green peppers until near the end so they would stay tender crisp but I am trying to figure out how to do that with the onions while still allowing them to contribute their flavor... any suggestions?

This recipe and picture are courtesy of Allrecipes.com (photographer abapplez) and can be found at this site here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-pepper-steak/detail.aspx

SLOW COOKER PEPPER STEAK
Adapted from Allrecipes.com

2 lbs. beef sirloin, cut into 2-inch strips
Garlic powder to taste
3 T vegetable oil
1 cube beef bouillon
¼ c hot water
1 T cornstarch
½ cup chopped onion
2 large green bell peppers, roughly chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
3 T soy sauce
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 t white sugar
1 t salt

Sprinkle strips of sirloin with garlic powder to taste. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil and brown the seasoned beef strips. Transfer to a slow cooker.

Mix bouillon cube with hot water until dissolved, then mix in cornstarch until dissolved. Pour into the slow cooker with meat. Stir in onion, stewed tomatoes, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and salt.

Cover and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.

When the slow cooker gets down to 1 hour left on high or 2 hours on low, add in the green peppers and stir. (If you add them in the beginning they will be mushy.) During the last 30 minutes of cooking mix an additional 1 Tbsp cornstarch with ¼ cup cool water and stir into the slow cooker. This will form a nice gravy.

Serve over rice, noodles or potatoes.

No comments: