About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Zucchini Marinara Subs

We LOVED these! They were so delicious and filling. They are quite messy but since this is the meatless, healthy version of a meatball sub.... what did you really expect?

One of my favorite parts of this recipe was how "moist" the zucchini got after cooking it up in my skillet. It was the perfect crisp-tender. I even left the mushrooms in there and didn't mind it one bit!

Once again I must say that the Wal-mart bakery is the best place to get bread products. They have fabulous sub rolls there that made these even more heavenly.

I made my own marinara sauce from scratch to use with this recipe. I want to post about the sauce but I want to get a picture of it first. I will be sure to do that soon!

Thanks a million to Real Mom Kitchen for this fantastic recipe and picture found at this site here: http://realmomkitchen.com/2847/zucchini-marinara-subs/

Zucchini Marinara Subs
From Real Mom Kitchen


  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 medium zucchini, diced (cut lengthwise into fourths and the diced into 1/2 inch chunks)
  • 2 mushroom, sliced
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3/4 – 1 cup marinara sauce (depending on how saucy you want it)
  • 4 slices provolone cheese
  • 4 (6 inch) crusty French or Italian sandwich rolls, split

  1. In a skillet over medium heat, fry the zucchini and mushrooms in olive oil until browned and tender. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Add garlic to mixture and sauté for 1 min. Stir in the marinara sauce and cook until sauce is heated.
  3. Place a slice of cheese on each roll and broil in oven until cheese is melted. (Leave rack in the center of the oven, don’t move it up and you won’t burn the roll. That is as long as you keep your eye on it.)
  4. Divide zucchini mixture evenly between the four rolls and enjoy.

No comments: