About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Cheesy Quinoa Mac and Cheese

I saw this recipe on Pinterest and was really interested in it because we don't eat mac and cheese normally. I have wanted to try quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) for a while and this was a great opportunity!

We really loved this meal! Since we have a small family a 9x13 dish feeds us for a few meals - my husband took this to work two days in a row and LOVED it. All by itself it isn't extremely flavorful so I would strongly recommend adding your favorite hot sauce or salsa. Our favorite is the Louisiana brand.

I also didn't saute my veggies - I roasted them. There are few things that we love more than roasted broccoli. If you go this route all you have to do is toss your veggies with a little bit of olive oil and salt and pepper and roast at 425 for 15 - 20 minutes. I did this while I was waiting for the quinoa to cook. I used broccoli and green pepper this time but I think it would be fabulous with red pepper, asparagus or cauliflower as well.

Also, if you are new to cooking quinoa you use 2 cups of water or broth for every 1 cup of quinoa. It is suggested that you rinse and drain the quinoa before using it but before it is cooked it is VERY small and slips through a strainer. Make sure you use a very fine mesh sieve. Bring water and quinoa to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, covered for 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed and you can see a small "thread" on the quinoa. Remember that quinoa expands to about 4x its size when you cook it so 1 cup dry will yield 4 cups cooked.

This one will definitely be a repeat in our house! We all loved it!

This recipe is courtesy of Around the Table: Loving Food in RI & Beyond... and can be found at this site HERE.


CHEESY QUINOA MAC AND CHEESE
From Around the Table
Serving Size: 8

Nutritional Information per serving (calculated on MyFitnessPal.com): Calories 280, Carbs 31, Fat grams 11, Protein 14 (Calculated without veggies added)

  • 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
  • Veggies of your choice (optional) (I used broccoli and green pepper)
  • good pinch of salt
  • a few grinds of seasoning salt
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup soy milk or non-fat milk (I used the non-fat milk)
  • 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, more for sprinkling (I used a mix of cheddar and mozzarella)
  • Optional- Crushed Red Pepper, Panko Bread crumbs for topping
  • Toppings (optional)- salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, scallions

  1. Lightly saute any veggies you would like in this dish. 
  2. Cook quinoa to packaged instructions until fully cooked. (About 15 minutes)
  3. Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 13x9 inch dish( or 8 individual ramekins) with cooking spray.Whisk together eggs, milk and seasonings in large bowl. Fold in quinoa mixture and cheese. Stir very well and let some of the cheese melt.  Transfer to prepared baking dish and if using Panko Crumbs or Bread crumbs add now and bake 30-35 mins, until bread crumbs are browned. 

1 comment:

Amy Jeans said...

I was wondering if this was good or not. Might have to try it out at some point!!!