About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Key West Chicken-Avocado Sandwiches

I had the hardest time remembering that that yellow stuff under the spinach in the picture is not cheddar cheese - it is mango. Every time I looked at the picture I thought that it called for cheddar cheese. Good thing I put mango on my shopping list!

These sandwiches were really tasty and unique. They were definitely unlike any sandwich that I have ever had. We really liked the avocado sauce but I would definitely at least double the amount of the green Tabasco that it calls for - it could have used more of a kick. The mango adds a little bit of flavor, but not a ton so even though I am not a huge mango fan I didn't mind it in my sandwich. The avocado is what really made this meal. Yummy!

The sweet potatoes that we ate as a side dish were just something that I threw together. I peeled the sweet potatoes and cut them into rounds. I sprinkled them with chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, a little bit of brown sugar and salt and pepper. I made an aluminum dish out of aluminum foil and put a little bit of olive oil to cover the bottom and then threw those babies on the barbecue to cook with our chicken. Oh. My. Yummy! Honestly, they were my favorite part of this meal!

This recipe and the picture at the bottom of this post are courtesy of Prevention.com and can be found at this site HERE.

KEY WEST CHICKEN-AVOCADO SANDWICHES
From Prevention
Servings 4

Nutritional Information per serving (provided by Prevention.com): Calories 291.6, Carbs 27 g, Fat 9.8 g, Saturated Fat 2.1 g, Sodium 199.7 mg, Protein 26.1 g, Total sugars 10 g, Dietary fiber 6.3 g

·         1 cup mashed Florida avocado (MUFA), about 1 med
·         1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1/2 large lime)
·         ½ - 1 tsp green pepper sauce (we used Tabasco), optional
·         1 cup baby spinach
·         10 oz grilled or roasted chicken breast, sliced (about 2 c)
·         1 C mango, peeled, pitted, and sliced
·         4 sm whole grain rolls (2 oz each), split

1.      Combine avocado, lime juice, and green pepper sauce, if using, in small bowl. Spread top and bottom halves of rolls with 2 tablespoons each of the avocado-lime mixture.
2.      Layer 1/4 cup of the spinach, one-quarter of the chicken, and 1/4 cup of the mango on bottom halves. Top with other halves of rolls.




No comments: