About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Chunky Potato and Ham Soup

I have made this soup twice now - once with my mother and once by myself. I have potato trauma whenever I put them on the stove to boil, so it was pretty frustrating for me when I did it... but I think it is a pretty simple recipe in general. And in the end, it tastes great! I served it at a party we hosted at my house and it was gone in about 5 minutes flat!

CHUNKY POTATO AND HAM SOUP

3 medium red potatoes
2 cups water
Onion Powder
Salt
Crushed Red Pepper
Black Pepper
3 Tbsp. Flour
3 Tbsp. Butter
3 cups milk
1 1/2 cups cheese
1/2 tsp. sugar
Crushed red pepper flakes

Cut potatoes into cubes and add to water. Cook until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Set aside potatoes. Measure 1 cup cooking liquid; set aside. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add flour to saucepan; season with onion powder, pepper flakes, pepper, and salt. Cook 3 to 4 minutes.

Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup of cooking liquid, milk and sugar to mixture; stir well. Add cheese and ham. Simmer over low heat 20 - 30 minutes, stirring frequently.


*I added some extra cheese and just turned the heat up until the cheese was all melted before serving.

No comments: