About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Moon Cake

This recipe comes from my wonderful friend Ashley Crapo. This recipe does NOT have a heavy sweet taste which I love SO MUCH! It is a lot like an eclair or cream puff taste. Yesterday, my brother had 3 pieces, my husband had 4, and my father had 2. The actual CAKE part is very finicky and make SURE you follow the directions, but once you get past that part it is not hard at all! I couldn't find a good picture for this recipe because Chinese moon cake is ENTIRELY different. This should look like a bubbly yellow cake on the bottom, layer of vanilla colored cream in the middle, and a layer at the top that is a SLIGHT brown. (VERY Light)

ASHLEY CRAPO’S MOON CAKE

1 ¼ c. cold water
½ c. + 2 Tbsp. Margarine
1 ¼ c. of flour
5 eggs
2 - 8 oz. Cartons of cool whip
3 - 4 Tbsp. of Fudge

Cream Cheese Layer (*ASHLEY usually doubles this part, I leave it as is*)
1 - 8 oz. Package cream cheese, softened
3 ½ c. milk
2 - 3 oz. Pkgs. Vanilla instant pudding

Mix cold water and margarine in sauce pan. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Add flour all at once and let sit for 5 min. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat after each one. Spread on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. DON’T OPEN OVEN WHILE BAKING AND DON’T POP THE BUBBLES THAT FORM. Let cool.

Blend cream cheese and then slowly add milk. Add vanilla pudding. Beat until thick and spread on cool cake.

Fold in fudge to cool whip. (OR just use 2 pkgs. of chocolate cool whip if you can find it). Frost the top of the cake with mixture. Allow to chill for several hours.

*I ignored the "ungreased cookie sheet" part last time... big mistake. The batter slipped and slid all around the sheet until I was just ready to scream! Next time I will definitely leave the cookie sheet ungreased.

No comments: