About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Watery Reflection

This week in my Healthy Body Image/Weight Management class we talked about hydration. Our assignment? Research the benefits of water. Seems easy, right?

Well yeah, but it depends on what you are looking for. The media loves to tout the benefits of water now, despite turning Benedict Arnold on it when the 2008 study by Negoianu and Goldfarm stated that drinking 8 glasses a day was not supported by sufficient evidence. Just Google "health benefits of water" and you will get plenty of information:

Woman drinking water
Picture source here

13 Surprising Benefits of Water - Ladies Home Journal
15 Big Benefits of Water - Health Magazine
Top 11 Benefits of Drinking Water and How - Mangosteen Natural Remedies
Benefits of Water - Shapefit.com
5 Reasons to Never Neglect Water - Men's Fitness Magazine

But what is actually fact and what is over-hyped glamour? Turns out that the lack of real scientific evidence makes that pretty hard to find.

Now I am not saying that water isn't important because it absolutely is. Our bodies need water to survive. But is it the miracle skin shrinker, hair shiner that so much of the media would lead us to believe? Evidence doesn't prove it yet.

So what is true? Here are a few links that I really like that I feel are more trustworthy in their information:

Water & Your Health, Hydration & Your Body - The Fact about Water from Drinking Water Research Foundation ~ I also really like their interactive chart on "The Importance of Water in the Body."
Don't Stop Drinking Water by Jon Barron from The Baseline of Health Foundation
Make Better Beverage Choices - ChooseMyPlate.gov
The Health Benefits of Water - DorchesterHealth.org

Water is wonderful. It is necessary for life. We must have it and I will continue to drink it. I get between 100-150 ounces a day and sometimes more if that is what my body wants. Set a goal but figure out what is right for you and your body.

QUESTION FOR MY DEAR READERS: On average, how much water do you drink daily?

Loves... Shayla

No comments: