About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Supper-Time "Sunday?"

So, I'm back. I know, I know. It has been a long time. But I have been evaluating and figuring out what I want to do.

I don't want to be solely a food blogger or solely a family blogger. I love health, fitness, nutrition, religion, everything. So you are going to get a little bit of everything here. I will continue to report on my family on our family blog (http://jacobshayla.blogspot.com) but here will be my more personal space where I get to share with you what I love.

So what have I been loving lately? Well for starters....

WENDY'S PROTEIN FROSTY
Recipe + photo courtesy of Janetha over at Meals & Moves

I will always be a smoothie lover. Do I realize that we just had the coldest January Utah has seen in many many years? 19 degree average temperature? Yes. Did that stop me from having a smoothie probably 4 or 5 times a week? Uhhh... no. It just didn't. I sit in bed with my heating pad on high on my stomach, under the covers, delightfully sipping away at my smoothie. 

This particular smoothie is one that I have made for the cute hubster and I a few times while we watch endless episodes of The Mentalist. Love the show? Hate it? Favorite character? Of course, we love Jane but there is just something about Cho that you have to absolutely adore. Love love love.

Anyways, back to smoothie talk. Does it taste like a Wendy's Frosty? Yeah, it is pretty close although you will need to add sweetener if you want it to be close-er. The biggest issue we had with it is that this puppy is THICK. Like, super super super trying to suck a pillow through a straw thick. 

Recommendations? Load up on the ice and go carefully on the xanthan and guar gums. They are necessary but you want an icy/creamy texture not a jaw workout. 

I will post later about my classic go-to protein smoothie. It has cute hubster approval and everything.

________________________________________________
Not enough of a satisfy for your sweet tooth? Well...

CHOCOLATE PB-FUDGE
Recipe + picture courtesy of Katie over at Chocolate-Covered Katie

You can be into health and fitness and nutrition and I can guarantee you are still going to want something sweet now and again. I have a sweet-tooth, no doubt. Is that complicated when I am restricted by a gluten-free/refined sugar-free diet? Oh yeah. That is why people like me RELY on people like Chocolate-Covered Katie to get our sweet-tooth satisfaction.

This fudge was everything that fudge should be. Rich, decadent, with seriously the perfect flavor. Did I change anything in the recipe intentionally? Well, no. Did I not exactly measure things out perfectly precisely? Lol... yes... but it still turned out amazing! We didn't wait to refrigerate ours. We smeared it on strawberries and enjoyed ourselves. However, cute hubster and I both agreed that we liked it better plain. 

And sometimes a spoonful of health-ier fudge is JUST what is needed at the end of the day. 

QUESTION FOR MY DEAR READERS: What are your favorite health-ier desserts? Do you watch The Mentalist?

Loves...Shayla

No comments: