About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Supper-Time Sunday!

I have a wide assortment of different recipes for you this week - all delicious! Definitely a great week of delicious eats.
_________________________________________

MOM'S STOVETOP PORK RIBS
Recipe + Photo Courtesy of Allrecipes.com

Oh man oh man! These were sooooo good! I was extremely skeptical about the cooking technique but these ribs turned out super tender and flavorful. I only had 7 country style pork ribs (meaning that they were boneless) and I used tamari instead of soy sauce to keep it gluten free. 

A lot of the reviews talked about the saltiness of the dish. Truth be told, the more of the sauce that ends up on your actual rib the more salty it will taste. Next time I make this (because there WILL be a next time) I will probably cut back on the tamari. Probably try 1/4 - 1/3 cup instead of 1/2. 

Also, the cooking time is way off. I think my water took at least an hour to boil down and I was conservative about it. Plan ahead and give it the time to boil down - you won't regret it. 

Even with 10 cloves of garlic it didn't taste overly garlicky to us. The whole family loved them. Try this one out! You won't be disappointed!

_________________________________________

OVEN ROASTED SWEET POTATO WEDGES
Recipe + Photo Courtesy of Food.com

I served these on the side with the pork ribs and they were delicious. I would've liked them to be a bit more crispy than they turned out but I think that could be achieved by letting them sit on broil for a few minutes at the end of the cooking time.

Sweet potatoes can be incredibly frustrating to cut. I didn't want to fight with them this time so I peeled my potatoes, pricked them a few times and microwaved them for 3 minutes. It was only a short time and the potatoes were not cooked through but they softened so that they were MUCH easier to cut!

The only thing that I changed about the recipe was that I used date sugar instead of the brown sugar. My boy {N} GOBBLED these down! My girl [A] is still very skeptical of sweet potatoes but at least she tried these. 

________________________________________
COPYCAT SHAMROCK SHAKE - HEALTHY, PALEO VERSION
Recipe + Photo Courtesy of Primally Inspired

We had these shakes for breakfast this very morning and they were delicious and filling. Very thick and creamy. Cute hubster said they tasted fresh and green. 

I didn't use the honey in the recipe and instead used 1 banana and a little over 1 Tbsp stevia. Since I was sharing it with cute hubster I knew he would want it to be more sweet than I usually make things. I also didn't have peppermint extract - just mint extract. It still worked but I think that it would be even better with peppermint extract. Yes, they are different. 

__________________________________________
LIGHT 100% WHOLE WHEAT ROLLS
Recipe Revisit from here

Obviously, I can't eat these anymore because I have to eat gluten free; however, my extended family loves them so much that I am still asked to make them from time to time. 

My mom and I discovered something amazing about these this past Sunday... you can completely skip the first 2 risings! All you have to do is to make up the dough, form the rolls and let them rise for 40 minutes before you put them in the oven. They turned out perfectly and I think that some of the rolls were even bigger than when I let them rise for the extra 1 1/2 hours! 

So without those risings these take just over an hour to make from start to finish - awesome!

______________________________________________

QUESTION FOR MY DEAR READERS: I still haven't gotten any recipe recommendations! Surely you have tried something lately that you loved? Share the love with me!

Loves...Shayla

No comments: