About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

WIAW: Intuitive Eating

INTUITIVE EATING:

Intuitive eating is a nutrition philosophy based on the premise that becoming more attuned to the body's natural hunger signals is a more effective way to attain a healthy weight, rather than keeping track of the amounts of energy and fats in foods. It's a process that is intended to create a healthy relationship with food, mind and body, (Wikipedia, 2013)

This is a concept that I have heard a lot about lately and one that I agree with. Although it is important to try and maintain a healthy diet and get adequate amounts of the different food groups, sometimes our bodies just need something a little bit different. That is what happened to me yesterday on my Tuesday eats.

__________________________________________
BREAKFAST 7:00 AM

Gluten Free Banana Coconut Oatmeal with Almonds

This has been my favorite flavor of oatmeal lately. I cook 1/2 cup gluten free oats with 1 tbsp ground flaxseed, 1 sliced banana, and a sprinkle of unsweetened coconut. I thin it with water and after it is cooked I sprinkle it with 2 tbsp unsalted almonds. I love the flavor and it is very filling.
_____________________________________________
 SNACK 10:45 AM

1 medium Fugi apple, 1 100% natural string cheese

This is usually what happens when I try to do this WIAW... I forget to take the picture until after I actually eat the meal. I was at school in the car, thus the lovely background of the picture.
___________________________________________
LUNCH 2:25 PM & DINNER 8:00 PM

Sweet Potato-Peanut Bisque, 1 large carrot

Chocolate PB Banana Yogurt

This was the major intuitive eating portion of my day. I started with the bisque because I felt like I really needed to get vegetables into my diet today. I munch on carrots while my meals are prepping which is why the carrot is already partially eaten in the picture. I got about 2/3 of the way through the bowl and knew it just wasn't going to satisfy me, although it was delicious. So I mixed up the yogurt. I sliced a very small banana into a bowl, added 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tbsp stevia in the raw, a spoonful of all natural pb and about 1/2 cup nonfat, plain Greek yogurt. It was delicious and left me feeling very satisfied and VERY full. 

I could've eaten dinner earlier since my class gets out earlier on Tuesday but instead felt the motivation and energy to go on a short 1.8 mile walk with the family to enjoy the weather. I munched on another large carrot during the walk and when we got back I finished the last 1/3 of the soup and mixed up some more of the yogurt. 

Although it was a less-than-average day yesterday for various reasons (aka car problems and defiant children) my eats kept me satisfied, full and energized.

QUESTIONS FOR MY READERS: Have you ever tried the intuitive eating approach? What is something that you have eaten lately that just hit the spot perfectly?

Loves...Shayla


No comments: