About Me

My photo
Who am I? Wife. Mother of 2. "Newbie" to fitness. Personal Trainer-in-training. Lover of health. Fitness. Religion. Family. Gluten and refined sugar intolerant. Welcome to my journey. Learn with me.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Super Spuds

This is a recipe that I got from the Foods class that I helped aide last year at West Jordan High School. I thought it was something my husband would like and I was right! I am NOT a mushroom fan but this recipe didn't bother me. In fact, I really liked it! And it is really simple to make.

SUPER SPUDS

1 - 2 potatoes per person
1 lb. Hamburger
½ c. Sour Cream
1 1/3 c. water
1 can cream of chicken soup
½ can mushrooms
2 Tbsp. Dried onions
4 Tbsp. Diced green chilies
Grated Cheese

One way to cook potatoes: Scrub potatoes and poke a hole in each one. Cook in the microwave on high power for approximately 8 min. Cook until fork can go in smoothly. When potatoes are cooked, wrap in clean dish towel and let steam.

*I cooked 4 small red potatoes in the microwave, wrapped in a paper towel for 8 minutes at 100% power. They were very soft and tender. You will want to adjust microwave cooking time if you use more or bigger potatoes.

Another way to cook potatoes: Wash the potatoes and cut out any bad parts. Then poke the potatoes with a fork in several different places, wrap them in aluminum foil and put them directly on the oven rack. I cook them somewhere between 350 and 375 for an hour to an hour and a half depending on how big the potatoes are.

Brown hamburger in skillet and drain. Add onion, chilies, and mushrooms to brown hamburger. Heat together. Add soup and water, bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Add sour cream, stir in meat mixture. Open up potato, top with meat mixture and grated cheese.

*I like to use just less than ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper instead of the diced green chilies. (It is cheaper and easier to come by when I’m throwing something together around the house.) I also used 1 small can of mushrooms instead of ½, and onion powder is just as good as diced onions - besides the fact that it is cheaper, more convenient, and cleaner! Adding salt and pepper is necessary for flavor and I added some chives to my sauce.

No comments: